About Me

My photo
Alabama, United States
I'm tired of being in a rut. I'm ready to kick my life out of neutral and make some changes. I have adopted the philosophy of IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BECOME WHO YOU ARE MEANT TO BE. I'm not sure what the future holds but I'm ready to see. Get aboard and join me on the journey!

Saturday, July 2, 2011

Why I started this blog

Why a blog?
I decided to start one after seeing the support received by others whose blogs I've read. Advice, tips, compliments, etc. from total strangers whose only motivation is to encourage or help you-how cool is that?  I don't know if I have the time needed to devote to this but I want to give it a shot. I know some make money with theirs-I don't see that happening and that's not my motivation anyway.

Why name it "The It's NEVER Too Late Blog"?
Because I believe there are a lot of people like me who are middle aged or older thinking their life has passed them by and they can't do anything about it. I hope this blog not only helps me with your support and encouragement but that if you need the same you can find it here. If you're alive its not too late to make some changes.

I am 48 years old and have felt like I was trapped in a box for a while now. The box has more than 6 sides, more like a soccer ball than a square box. Every little "side" came from one of my decisions. The box gets smaller and the pieces tougher to knock loose as I get older.

I don't believe my life and where it's at is the "fault" of anyone but myself. I believe MY DECISIONS=MY LIFE just as YOUR decisions=YOUR life. You may have obstacles and unexpected turns in your life's path but you make the decisions on how to respond. I am angry with myself for not making better decisions but I can't let that rule my life any longer. I can either have "wasted" 30 years and change or keep adding more waste until I drop dead.

I currently am a "local" pickup/delivery driver for a trucking company. I usually drive 250-350 miles per day and make 12-18 stops. I am home every night (+) but work 60 plus hours a week(-). I do some pretty physical work some days but am not in great shape(no exercise plus those big meals late at night after work from a wife who can cook FROM SCRATCH). Ironically I need the long hours because of my own financial decisions. My wife has a lot of health problems so I definitely need the health insurance-even so we've spent around $2000 on prescriptions, copays, etc. so far this year. I never finished college so my options are limited in the employment field. I would love to get out of trucking and do something more mentally stimulating  and make as much money but with all of the above its one tough piece of the box.

I want to travel and do some fun, interesting, challenging things(List to come later) but with my lack of time and money I've been feeling like it was impossible. I discovered the blog of impossible things (http://www.joelrunyon.com/) and Joel is an inspiration. I emailed him personally for advice even though he's half my age-numbers don't matter, results do and he has achieved some great results on his quest. He advised me to start small-do little things that are cheap or free that I've never done. He reminded me: exercise is free!! you don't need high priced gym memberships, equipment, etc. Just the mindset to get moving. If you get into shape you: have more energy for other goals, see positive results in your life which enables you take risks, think clearer because your body is "tuned up" better.

Well this intro has went on long enough, I don't want to run on and on in one post. I will leave you with this quote:

"Its never too late to become who you were meant to be"-this is now the slogan for my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment